The department of Plastic and Maxillofacial surgery offers a 6 months-fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery. The unit is one of the more active in reconstructive microsurgery in the north of Europe with a case load performed of 120 free flaps per year and 50 complex non microvascular cases in the areas of head and neck reconstruction, breast reconstruction, facial paralysis, lower extremity and complex wound care. The fellowship program is endorsed by the Swedish Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery.
The fellow will work in a team of four specialists and one resident and will participate in the planning and execution of all reconstructive cases performed by the team. The fellow will participate in all teaching activities in the department and will be responsible for a monthly presentation.
The fellow is required to undertake one research project within microsurgery and is expected to finish one publication.
Accommodation in Uppsala and a stipend for living expenses is provided.
The candidate must be specialist in plastic surgery with ambition to pursue a career in reconstructive microsurgery and be able to work in a team.
How to apply
The fellowship positions for 2022 are full. Positions for 2023 are available, the deadline to submit the application is April 1st 2022.
Submit CV and two letters of recommendation to the fellowship program director
Dr. Andres Rodriguez.
Dr. Alex Okello is a Plastic Surgeon and Fellow of the College of Surgeons – Plastic Surgery (ECSA) from Nairobi, Kenya. He is also an Associate Editor with the Annals of African Surgery (AAS) and a budding surgical clinical investigator with interests in microsurgery, breast surgery and craniofacial surgery.
Dr. Okello attained his medical degree (MBChB) from the Moi University, School of Medicine, Kenya and later on undertook a Master of Medicine in Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (MMed in PRS) at the University of Nairobi, School of Medicine, Kenya.
His interest in Reconstructive Microsurgery emanated from his experience as a registrar in plastic surgery where he encountered varied cases: replantation of various body parts, reconstruction of complex defects arising from oncologic resections and post trauma, brachial plexus repairs/ hand nerve transfers and lymphaedema management.
He strongly believes that the best possible patient-centered outcome can be achieved by merging aesthetic principles and practice to the advanced reconstructive techniques in the breast and craniomaxillofacial regions. The various courses and CPD activities he continues to engage in help maintain his focus on these goals.
The International Fellowship Program in Microsurgery at the Uppsala University Hospital has enabled him cultivate his curious mind in research all the while expanding on the surgical fields of breast reconstruction, head and neck reconstruction, lymphaedema and facial palsy/paralysis.
- Dr Richard Tee, MD, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), 2020.
- Cristina Gómez Martínez de Lecea, MD, Plastic surgeon, University Clinic of Navarra, Spain. Fellow 2020.
- Luís Vieira, MD, Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa Central, Portugal, 2019
- Riccardo Schweizer, University of Zurich, 2019.
- Caroline Driessen, MD, Erasmus MC in Rotterdam, 2018.
- Naomi van Hout, MD, Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
- Dr. Holger Klein, MD, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland, 2017
- Dr. Jorga Zabojova, MD, Oxford University, United Kingdom, 2017.
- Dr. Tianyi Liu, MD, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. Fellow 2016.
- Ruben Coelho, MD, Plastic Surgeon, Central Hospital of Lisbon, Portugal. Fellow 2016.
- Lara Cristobal Velasco, MD, University Hospital of Getafe, Madrid, Spain. Fellow 2015.
- Camilo Hernandez, MD, Plastic Surgeon from University of Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia, Fellow 2015.
- Nina Gösseringer, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University of Viena, Austria. Fellow 2014.
- Beatriz Lopez, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University Hospital of A Coruna, Spain, Fellow 2014.
- Lorenzo Cali-Cassi, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University of Turin, Italy. Fellow 2013.
- Felipe Pineda, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University Hospital of A Coruna, Spain. Fellow 2013.