International Fellowship Program in Microsurgery
The department of Plastic and Maxillofacial surgery offers a 6 months-fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery. The unit is one of the more active in reconstructive microsurgery in the north of Europe with a case load performed of 120 free flaps per year and 50 complex non microvascular cases in the areas of head and neck reconstruction, breast reconstruction, facial paralysis, lower extremity and complex wound care. The fellowship program is endorsed by the Swedish Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery.
The fellow will work in a team of four specialists and one resident and will participate in the planning and execution of all reconstructive cases performed by the team. The fellow will participate in all teaching activities in the department and will be responsible for a monthly presentation.
The fellow is required to undertake one research project within microsurgery and is expected to finish one publication.
Accommodation in Uppsala and a stipend for living expenses is provided.
The candidate must be specialist in plastic surgery with ambition to pursue a career in reconstructive microsurgery and be able to work in a team.
How to apply
The fellowship positions for 2019 are full. 2020 positions available and the deadline for submission of applications is april 1st 2019.
Submit CV and two letters of recommendation to the fellowship program director
Dr. Andres Rodriguez.
Caroline was trained at the Erasmus MC in Rotterdam. As a medical student she spent time at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London which sparked her interest in plastic surgery and craniofacial surgery in specific. Before starting her residency, she focussed on craniosynostosis and spent three years doing research in Rotterdam to obtain her PhD.
During her residency, Caroline focussed on congenital and oncologic reconstructions of the skull, face and head and neck region. She decided to travel to Uppsala to learn more on (microsurgical) reconstructions from experts that have a different background and a great level of experience and to experience how it is to work abroad.
- Naomi van Hout, MD, Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
- Dr. Holger Klein, MD, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland, 2017
- Dr. Jorga Zabojova, MD, Oxford University, United Kingdom, 2017.
- Dr. Tianyi Liu, MD, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. Fellow 2016.
- Ruben Coelho, MD, Plastic Surgeon, Central Hospital of Lisbon, Portugal. Fellow 2016.
- Lara Cristobal Velasco, MD, University Hospital of Getafe, Madrid, Spain. Fellow 2015. About Laura
- Camilo Hernandez, MD, Plastic Surgeon from University of Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia, Fellow 2015.
- Nina Gösseringer, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University of Viena, Austria. Fellow 2014.
- Beatriz Lopez, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University Hospital of A Coruna, Spain, Fellow 2014.
- Lorenzo Cali-Cassi, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University of Turin, Italy. Fellow 2013.
- Felipe Pineda, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University Hospital of A Coruna, Spain. Fellow 2013.