International Fellowship Program in Microsurgery
The department of Plastic and Maxillofacial surgery offers a 6 months-fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery. The unit is one of the more active in reconstructive microsurgery in the north of Europe with a case load performed of 120 free flaps per year and 50 complex non microvascular cases in the areas of head and neck reconstruction, breast reconstruction, facial paralysis, lower extremity and complex wound care. The fellowship program is endorsed by the Swedish Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery.
The fellow will work in a team of four specialists and one resident and will participate in the planning and execution of all reconstructive cases performed by the team. The fellow will participate in all teaching activities in the department and will be responsible for a monthly presentation.
The fellow is required to undertake one research project within microsurgery and is expected to finish one publication.
Accommodation in Uppsala and a stipend for living expenses is provided.
The candidate must be specialist in plastic surgery with ambition to pursue a career in reconstructive microsurgery and be able to work in a team.
How to apply
The fellowship positions for 2020 are full. 2021 positions available and the deadline for submission of applications is April 1st 2020.
Submit CV and two letters of recommendation to the fellowship program director
Dr. Andres Rodriguez.
Cristina Gómez Martínez de Lecea
Cristina Gómez Martínez de Lecea was born in Pamplona, Spain, and finished her Medical Degree in the University of Navarra in 2014. She performed her Plastic Surgery training from 2015 to 2020 in the University Clinic of Navarra, Spain. Her interest and enthusiasm in microsurgery and head and neck surgery encouraged her to learn from Doctors of reference in this field. Thus she has performed additionally several rotations in national and international institutions such as: Dr Piñal and Associates Institute (Santander/Madrid, Spain), Mayo Clinic ( Jacksonville, USA), Columbia/New-York Presbyterian Hospital, Boston Shriners Hospital for Children (Boston, USA), University of Chicago Medicine (Chicago, USA), Clinique Bizet (Paris, France) and Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital (Linkou, Taiwan).
Cristina applied to this International Microsurgical Fellowship in Uppsala in her 4th year of a 5-year residency program. Her aim is to improve her microsurgical skills, achieve a complete training deepening her knowledge with the latest diagnostic and therapeutic techniques in Reconstructive Microsurgery, Head and Neck, Facial Palsy and Breast Reconstruction. Her latest goal is to provide high-quality medical assistance to her patients in the future.
- Luís Vieira, MD, Centro Hospitalar Universitário Lisboa Central, Portugal, 2019
- Riccardo Schweizer, University of Zurich, 2019.
- Caroline Driessen, MD, Erasmus MC in Rotterdam, 2018.
- Naomi van Hout, MD, Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
- Dr. Holger Klein, MD, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland, 2017
- Dr. Jorga Zabojova, MD, Oxford University, United Kingdom, 2017.
- Dr. Tianyi Liu, MD, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. Fellow 2016.
- Ruben Coelho, MD, Plastic Surgeon, Central Hospital of Lisbon, Portugal. Fellow 2016.
- Lara Cristobal Velasco, MD, University Hospital of Getafe, Madrid, Spain. Fellow 2015.
- Camilo Hernandez, MD, Plastic Surgeon from University of Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia, Fellow 2015.
- Nina Gösseringer, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University of Viena, Austria. Fellow 2014.
- Beatriz Lopez, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University Hospital of A Coruna, Spain, Fellow 2014.
- Lorenzo Cali-Cassi, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University of Turin, Italy. Fellow 2013.
- Felipe Pineda, MD. Plastic Surgeon from University Hospital of A Coruna, Spain. Fellow 2013.