19th century

In 1811, the county general hospital on Fyris Square moved to the old crown distillery buildings at Ulleråker and, in 1837, it was expanded into a central hospital for five counties.

The general hospital moved back to the city centre in 1850, to its current position below the castle.

Sweden's first psychiatric university clinic was established in 1858 in Ulleråker. In 1863, Nils-Gustav Kjellberg was appointed its first professor.

At about this time, Uppsala University, Uppsala County Council and the City of Uppsala built a new general hospital with 150 beds, which was completed in 1867. It was con-
sidered to be the most modern hospital in northern Europe. The building is still used,
but not for patient care.