18th century

1708 saw the establishment of Sweden's first university clinic at Oxenstiernska House on Riddar Square in Uppsala. In the beginning, the Nosocomium Academicum, as it was called, had six to eight beds. It is not known exactly how many patients were admitted but, as a general rule, it was decided that there could be a maximum of two patients in each bed.The former Helgeandshuset was used alongside Nosocomium Academicum, and in 1782 it became the county general hospital.

Professor Lars Roberg, the man behind the clinic, was especially known for his success in theoretical and applied medicine. He became the clinic's first director, and remained in this post until his death in 1740.